People with disabilities

People with disabilities who find themselves in a situation of socio-economic deprivation and inequality, dependency or social vulnerability may be entitled to certain social assistance.

The information in this section is organised as follows:

Social support for people with disabilities

There are social services and institutions that are there to help people with disabilities, promoting personal development and developing their self-esteem, autonomy and social integration.

The following types of social assistance are available:

  • support/guidance and social rehabilitation centres;
  • home support service (provision of care and services for those without family support;
  • occupational activity centres;
  • family caregiving (integration into families);
  • residential establishments (retirement homes or independent living facilities);
  • passenger transport (only in the districts of Lisbon and Porto);
  • holiday and leisure centres (recreational activities and routine breaks);
  • outpatient support (therapy and socio-educational intervention).

Find out more about how to apply for social support for people with disabilities.

Allowance for caring for a chronically ill or disabled child

Fathers or mothers caring for a chronically ill or disabled child in the family home are entitled to a monthly allowance.

Find out more about how to claim an allowance for caring for a disabled or chronically ill child.

Family allowance bonus for children and young people with disabilities

The bonus consists of an increase in the amount of family allowance granted for children and young people with disabilities under the age of 24.

Certain conditions must be met to obtain this bonus, including the child or young person with a disability having to be dependent on the beneficiary of the bonus (being the beneficiary’s offspring) and not being employed, or the family unit being in financial need.

Find out more about how to claim the family allowance bonus for children and young people with disabilities.

Social inclusion benefit

Portuguese nationals and foreign citizens, refugees or stateless persons who have an impairment resulting in a degree of disability of 60% or more may be entitled to a monthly social inclusion benefit.

This benefit may consist of three components: the basic component, which is intended to cover the added general costs resulting from the disability; the supplement, to combat poverty among disabled people; and the bonus (extra) to compensate for specific costs.

Find out more about how to claim the social inclusion benefit.

Special needs education allowance

The special needs education allowance is paid out to compensate the costs resulting from specific support needed for children and young people with disabilities, in particular attendance at establishments suited to their needs.

This benefit may be claimed when children and young people up to the age of 24 with a permanent reduction in their physical, motor, organic, sensory or mental capacity attend special education establishments, need individual support from a specialist in the field or attend a social integration creche or kindergarten.

Find out more about how to claim the special needs education allowance.

Aids for people with disabilities or impairments

An aid for people with disabilities or impairments is any device, piece of equipment, instrument, technology or software, especially produced or made available, to prevent, compensate, monitor, alleviate or neutralise a disability, limitations on activities and restrictions on participation.

Examples of these include prostheses, wheelchairs, adjustable beds, lifting platforms, hearing aids, handrails, cushions and mattresses.

See the full list of aids that can be funded through the Assistive Aids Allocation System (SAPA) on the Social Security Portal.

Inclusion Desk

Social Security has a specialised assistance service for disabilities and impairments, called the Inclusion Desk. It can be accessed through the Social Security head office customer service points in the 18 districts and can be booked in person or using the online form.

Information updated on March 15, 2024