Confirm the address change on the Citizen Card
The confirmation completes the process of changing the address of your Portuguese Citizen Card.
If you prefer, you can confirm the change of address at a Citizen Spot or at a counter of the Instituto dos Registos e Notariado (IRN).
Learn where you can carry out the service and what are the advantages of each channel
Authenticate yourself with CMD or Citizen Card
Free of charge
Only after confirming the change of address, the address is changed in the Citizen's Card
This service can be done with video call support. Click on the "Support" button on the right side of the page and schedule
Take with you the Citizen's Card and the letter confirming the change of address
Free of charge
Click on the "Search" button to find a Citizen Spot near you
Who can Confirm the address change on the Citizen Card?
When can you Confirm the address change on the Citizen Card?
The confirmation of the address change must be carried out after the reception of the confirmation letter, and within the deadline indicated therein.
This letter is sent after the request of address change has been submitted and must arrive within five business days. If the letter is sent abroad, to the Azores or Madeira, it may take some more days to arrive.
After the deadline indicated in the letter, you will not be able to confirm the new address and will have to make a new request.
What are the documents and requirements to Confirm the address change on the Citizen Card?
How can you Confirm the address change on the Citizen Card?
After receiving the confirmation letter at the new address, you should confirm the address change process in the Citizen Card.
To confirm the change of address online:
- insert the Citizen Card on the card reader
- access the application autenticação.gov for desktop
- click on the “Card” tab and then on the “Address” tab
- insert the PIN code of the address (present on the PIN letter you’ve received when you made the Citizen Card)
- click on “Confirm”
- insert the change process number and the address confirmation code (present on the PIN letter you’ve received after requesting the address change)
- insert the authentication code (present on the PIN letter you’ve received when you requested the Citizen Card).
If the letter says that the confirmation is done on the ePortugal portal, follow these steps (for change of address requests made after 28/12/2022):
- Access the change of address confirmation service
- Authenticate yourself with your Digital Mobile Key or Citizen Card
- Verify the case number and address and click next. (in case the address is not correct, you will have to make a new request for change of address)
- Enter the address confirmation code (it is on the confirmation letter you received after requesting the address change). If you are confirming the address for another person, you will need to enter that person's details, case number and confirmation code
After confirmation, check that the process was successfully completed and that the address appears updated.
If you do not receive the confirmation letter, you should contact the competent services, by calling 210 990 111 (working days, from 9am to 6pm) or by e-mailing email@example.com.
To confirm the address in person, go to a:
- IRN counter that deals with matters of the Citizen Card
- IRN counter in Citizen Shops that provides the service
- Citizen Spot
- Portuguese Consular Post
- Citizen Service Post - RIAC-Azores
- service desk in the Autonomous Region of Madeira.
Only after you confirm the change of address does the address actually change in the Citizen Card. The new address is then communicated to Social Security, Tax Authority, Health, Registration and voter registration (place to vote), among other public entities.
What is the Price to Confirm the address change on the Citizen Card?
What is the deadline to confirm the change of address of the Citizen Card?
The deadline for confirming the change of address of the Citizen Card is 60 days.
You can see the exact deadline in the letter you received with the address change confirmation code.
If you lost or did not receive the change of address confirmation letter, you should request a duplicate of the letter.
Contacts for support