Request a marriage certificate
A marriage certificate is a document which confirms the facts in the marriage registry.
The certificate may be issued in paper or online.
- Request now The online request can be performed with authentication with Citizen Card or without authentication
Check the associated costs in the 'What is the price' fieldThe online certificate is available for consultation for 6 months
- Request on the location In the civil registry offices, Citizen Shops or at the IRN's Registry Spaces
Check the associated costs in the 'What is the price' fieldAt any time, during the business hours of the desks
Search for a point of service near you:
Who can request a marriage certificate?
What are the documents and requirements to request a marriage certificate?
Documents and requirements to request a marriage certificate
Type of certificate
What will you need
If you hold a Citizen Card
You will need to sign up. Therefore, you will need:
- your Citizen Card
- a pin code for the card’s authentication
- a card reader.
If you hold a lawyer, notary or solicitor’s professional licenseYou will need to use your lawyer, notary or solicitor’s digital certificate.
You do not need to submit any documents, except if you must prove that you are exempt from the certificate’s payment.
What is the Price to request a marriage certificate?
The price varies accordingly to the reason why you request the certificate.
Type of certificate
For family allowance or Social Security purposes
For other purposes
In certain cases, the certificate may be free of charge
The certificates are free of charge if they are requested for:
- adoption processes
- nationality processes
- assistance or charity purposes, including obtaining State or local autarchies’ pensions (a proof document may be required)
- processes regarding occupational accidents (only if requested by the individual who suffered the accident, by his/her family members or by the court)
- processes to assign the Portuguese-Brazilian equality status
- legal support purposes
- individuals who may be under economic hardship - the evidence is carried out through a document issued by a competent administrative authority (for instance, the Social Security) or by a public social assistance institution in which the individual is hospitalized.
The free certificates cannot be used for other purposes.
If you must submit a proof of the exemption, you can only request the certificate in person.
Type of certificate
How request a marriage certificate?
The certificate may be online or issued in paper:
- Online certificate - It is requested online, issued in electronic support and able to be consulted online for six months.
- In paper - It may be requested in person and, usually, it has no validity term.
If the marriage registry is over 50 years old, before requesting the certificate, contact the registry office to know if the registry has already been sent to the district archive. If it has been sent to the district archive, you must request the certificate directly to the archive.
Request a certificate online
- Go to the Civil Online webpage.
- Pick one of the following options:
- “Sign in with authentication”, if you hold a citizen card or a lawyer, notary or solicitor’s professional license
- “Sign in without authentication”.
- Follow the instructions.
- When the certificate is available, you will receive an email or SMS with the code to consult the certificate.
- After becoming available, the certificate may be consulted for six months, through the access code sent. If any entity asks you for a marriage certificate, you may give them the access code (the online certificate has the same legal value as a paper certificate).
The online certificate always presents the information present in the marriage registry at its date of issue (that is, during the six months of validity, if there are any amendments to the registry, the certificate is not updated).
Request a certificate issued in paper
- Go to a service desk.
- Indicate all the data you are aware of from the marriage registry (registry number and year and registry office) or from the couple (such as the full name, date of marriage, parentage and place of birth).
- The certificate is issued in paper support and delivered in the moment.