angle-left 1022:SRV:CES:FDS_Como

Portuguese citizens residing abroad who wish to marry may do so before:

  • The consular agent
  • Competent local authorities
  • Ministers of Catholic worship.


Marriage contracted abroad, before the competent local authorities or ministers of Catholic worship, should also be preceded by the preliminary marriage process, organized before the consular agents.

A Portuguese citizen who has been married abroad to the local authorities may transcribe his or her marriage into the Portuguese legal system in order to register his marriage in Portugal. If the marriage is made to the consular agent, the respective marriage seat will be drawn up by registration.