How can you Revalidate the driving license?
Check if you need a medical certificate or a psychological aptitude certificate (CAP)
Start by checking if you need to submit a medical certificate or a psychological aptitude certificate (CAP). If you need to submit any of these documents, you should obtain them before requesting a revalidation, either you shall do it online or on a reception desk.
If you shall need a medical certificate, the doctor shall send it by email to the IMT. If you shall need a CAP, you must scan it and send it by making your request online or you must bring it with you if you shall request the revalidation on a reception desk.
- Access your personal area of the IMT website.
- Choose the option “Drivers” and, then, “Driving License”.
- Follow the instructions that appear on the screen.
By submitting this request online, you may have to send a psychological aptitude certificate (check if you need a psychological aptitude certificate). You do not need to submit any other document.
On the location
When you submit the request, you should bring:
- your Citizen Card (or the tax payer number + identification document or residence permit)
- the driving license that shall be replaced
- a psychological aptitude certificate - CAP (check if you need a psychological aptitude certificate).
You shall receive the new license on the address you indicate
If nobody is home on that address to receive the new license, you can pick it up on the post office within 5 days. After this period, it shall become available on the Direção Regional ou Distrital de Mobilidade e Transportes (Regional or Provincial Mobility and Transports Directorate) of your area of residence.
If you request the revalidation online, you shall receive the new license within 10 days.
If you request the revalidation on the IMT reception desks, you shall receive the new license within 8 days. On another reception service, the receipt deadline is 25 days.