Who can Adopt a child?
A couple of Portuguese or foreign citizens, from the same sex or different sexes, which lives in Portugal and:
- are married or have a non-marital relationship for more than 4 years
- are both over 25 years old and under 61 years old.
- who is over 30 years old and under 61 years old, who may be single, married, widowed or in a non-marital relationship
- over 25 years old, if the adopted individual is the child of the person to whom the adopter is married.
If the adopters are already 60 years old, they may only adopt if:
- the child or adolescent has been entrusted to them before the adopter turns 61 years old
- the child is the child of the person to whom the adopted is married.
The age differences between the adopter and the adopted may not be higher than 50 years (which is only acceptable in special situations).