What are the documents and requirements to Adopt a child?
The forms are provided in the first training session for adoption.
Documents (of the applicants to adoption)
- An update birth certificate
- A valid identification document (Citizen Card, identity document, passport)
- A certificate from the Parish Council, if they have a non-marital relationship
- A criminal record certificate for adoption purposes (of all household members over 16 years old)
- A certificate of usual residence
- A medical certificate form to be filled in by your doctor
- A copy of the last tax return statement or the receipts of your received income: the receipt from the month prior to the application for adoption (if you receive a fixed salary) or the receipts from the three months prior to the application for adoption (if your income vary).
- Social Security identification number, if you do not submit the Citizen Card.
Documents only necessary for foreign citizens living in Portugal
- Certificate on adoption matters from their home country.
- Criminal record certificate for adoption purposes issued by the authorities of their home country.