Who can Declare a death?
The death declaration may be carried out:
- by the individual or entity responsible for the funeral (usually the mortuary agency)
- by the director or manager of the hospital unit where the individual has passed away
- by the closest family member of the individual who passed away, who was present at the time of the death
- by other family members who were present at the time of the death
- by the religious minister (for instance: a priest, a pastor, a rabbi or an imam) who was present at the time of the death
- by the police or administrative authorities, if the dead body has been abandoned
- by the owners of the house where the individual has passed away.