Accessing Public Services in Portugal
On the ePortugal portal you will find information on almost 3 thousand Public Administration services, for citizens and companies, available in simple and accessible language. Find out what you will need and how you can use public services online, at a desk, by telephone and with video call support.
This page provides information on:
The public administration already provides several digital services that can be done via computer or smartphone.
Search for the service you want to use
Use the search bar that you will find at the top of this page, on the right hand side.
Every page gives information about the services, what you will need, and which channels are available to do them. Services that can be used online have a link to the platform where the service is provided.
Choose an authentication tool
To do public services online we recommend that you have an activated Mobile Digital Key (CMD) or a smartcard reader for use with your Citizen's Card (in which case you will also need the card's authentication code).
Is the service you are looking for any of these?
Among the various services that can be done online, the most commonly used are:
If it is not possible to do the service online, you can go to a desk or, in some cases, use the telephone or video call.
Face-to-face service does not need to be scheduled, but we recommend that you do so.
For in-person service, it is recommended that you make an appointment in advance whenever possible. You can make an appointment, for some entities, through the SIGA platform and SigaApp (available for Android and iOS).
NB: If you are entitled to priority service, you do not need to make an appointment.
For services without an appointment at a Citizen Shop, you can take a digital queue ticket:
- Go to the Service Desks page.
- Select the district to find the Citizen Shop closest to you.
- In the list of results on the right, click on the Shop you want to go to.
- Select the service where you want to go. Your digital queue ticket will be sent to you by SMS or email.
Digital queue tickets can only be taken on the same day, from the time the desk opens.
On the Service Desks page you will also find information about the services available at each entity's desk, opening and closing hours, addresses and contacts. Use the filters to search by:
- Text - enter the name of the desk or location you are looking for
- Service location - select the type of desk you are looking for: registry office, Citizen Spot, Business Spot, Citizen Shop, tax offices, IEFP, among others
- District - search by desk location
- Countries - there are also Portuguese public services in Belgium, Brazil, France and the United Kingdom.
Service by telephone and video call
Check the service page to see if it is also available by phone or video call.
Use the search bar at the top of this page on the right hand side.
All the pages give information about the services, what you will need, and which channels are available to do them. Services that can be done by telephone have the contact details and opening hours of the telephone line on the page. Services with video call support also have information on how to schedule this type of service.
Service at the Registration, Social Security, Finance, IMT and IEFP services
For information about the types of services available at the most popular entities, see the following pages:
You can ask questions or get additional information about the services by phone or video call.
- Citizen Contact Center - 300 003 990 or 210 489 010, weekdays from 9am to 6pm
- Business Contact Center - 300 003 980 or 210 489 011, weekdays from 9am to 6pm.
By video call
You can get support by video call while using some of the most popular public services online. Find out how to schedule in the ‘ePortugal Video Call Support’ page.
Portugal is no longer on alert for COVID-19 as of September 30, 2022. COVID-19 related support and subsidies for individuals and companies are no longer in effect.
Information for those who are traveling
If you are going to travel, check:
- the SNS24 Portal to find out what precautions you should take
- the Portuguese Community portal for recommendations on what to do before and after arriving at your destination, including restrictions due to COVID-19
- the website of the European Union to find out what restrictions apply within the European Union.
Information updated on 26 October 2022