Accessing Public Services in Portugal
Information updated on 27 April 2022
On this portal, you can find information on around 3 000 public services for citizens and businesses, provided in simple and accessible language.
For your convenience, we recommend that you avoid unnecessary travel to the public service desks. Where possible, opt to use the services provided online.
This page provides information on:
Face-to-face public services are operating without restrictions, but we do recommend booking in advance.
Although it is no longer mandatory to wear a mask, we recommend wearing one at peak times at the service desks.
Information on preventive measures in relation to travel can be found on the SNS24 portal. Details of border restrictions can be found on the Portuguese Communities portal. You can also go to the Re-open EU website to find out what restrictions are in place within the European Union.
Support for citizens and businesses
For information on support measures provided by Social Security, the Tax Office, IEFP [Institute for Employment and Vocational Training] and IAPMEI [Agency for Competitiveness and Innovation] in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic, please visit the ‘COVID-19: Support for citizens and businesses’ page.
The public administration already provides a number of digital services that can be accessed via a computer or smartphone.
More information on means of authentication can be found at www.autenticação.gov.pt.
Examples of procedures available online include:
- Renew a Citizen Card
- Apply for a Tax Identification Number (NIF) for a natural person
- Request parental allowance
- Revalidate a driving licence
- Register with a job centre
- Book a consultation at a health centre
- among many others.
Use the ePortugal search bar (at the top of the page) to find the service you require and find out how to use it.
If it is not possible to access the service online, you can go to a service desk or, in some cases, access the service by telephone or video call. If you choose to go to a service desk in person, we recommend booking in advance where possible.
Most public service desks operate without appointments, including those at Citizen Shops and Citizen Spots. However, there are exceptions in some services. You can get a digital service ticket for a Citizen Shop service desk from ePortugal’s Citizen Shop pages.
For more information on the services available and how to access them, please visit:
- Accessing registration services – Citizen Card, passport and certificates
- Accessing Social Security services
- Accessing Tax Office services
- Accessing Institute for Mobility and Transport (IMT) services
- Accessing Institute for Employment and Vocational Training (IEFP) services.
You can also check the ‘Public Services Desks’ page for information on the addresses, opening hours and contact details of the various public services desks.
If you have any questions or require further information on the services available on ePortugal, please use the following telephone numbers:
- Citizen Contact Centre – +351 300 003 990 or +351 210 489 010, working days from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Business Contact Centre – +351 300 003 980 or +351 210 489 011, working days from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Find out what other services are available on the ‘Support by video call on ePortugal’ page.