Covid-19: Information about public services
Information updated on February 12, 2021
In the current context of extraordinary measures to respond to the epidemiological situation of the coronavirus / COVID-19, it is recommended that citizens use available online and phone options to access public services.
Documents that expired after 24 February will remain valid until 31 March 2021
The portuguese government has decreed that documents that expire after 24 February 2020 will remain valid until 31 March 2021, for all legal purposes.
This applies to:
- Citizen Card (Cartão de Cidadão)
- Driving license
- Criminal record
- Documents and visas related to the stay in national territory.
From 31 March 2021, expired documents after 24 February 2020 remain valid, as long as the bearer presents proof of a renewal appointment.
Check if the service you are looking for is available online
Use the ePortugal search bar to find the services you want, and check if they are available online. The portal's Companies and Businesses, area offers a large number of services related to companies and economic activities.
Accessing the various online services can be made by using the Chave Móvel Digital (Digital Mobile Key) or the Cartão de Cidadão (Citizen Card) PIN with a Smart Card reader. If you do not have either form of authentication, you can activate your Chave Móvel Digital (Digital Mobile Key) on Autenticação.gov, with your Portal das Finanças (Tax Authority portal) username and password.
These are some of the most sought-after services that are available online:
- Citizen Card renewal for citizens over the age of 25 (Watch this video to learn how to renew)
- Birth registration
- Land registry acts and certificates
- Announcement of preemptive rights at Casa Pronta
- Creation of commercial enterprise / company
- Commercial registration services
- Request and consult Criminal Record Certificate
For more information about Justice-related services (citizen card, passport, certificates, registry, among others), please check the Covid-19: Justice page.
For any further questions, you can also contact Linha Justiça - 800 910 220.
Segurança Social Direta (SSD) allows you to access several important services such as:
- Exceptional support for employers, domestic service and self-employed
- Support for the maintenance of employment contracts (layoff)
- Children and grandchildren assistance allowance
- Issuance of Payment Document
- Adding / updating of the IBAN to receive installments
- Request the declaration of contributory situation to Social Security (Watch the tutorial video)
It also allows you to perform various operations concerning:
- Parental allowance
- Family allowance
- Old-age pension
For more information about Social Security services, please check the Covid-19: Social Security page.
For any further questions, you can also contact Linha Segurança Social - 300 502 502.
Through the Finance portal, citizens and entrepreneurs can have access to important online services, such as:
- Submit and consult the IRS statement
- Request the Tax Identification Number
- Consult tax debts (Watch this tutorial video)
- Consult property tax documents
- Deliver the periodic VAT declaration
- Consult and issue income receipts
- Start or modify activity
- Request the reference for payment of the Imposto Único Circulação (IUC) (Single Transit Tax)
- Among others
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, in-person appointments can only be scheduled for urgent cases. If you need to need to schedule an in-person appointment, please pre-schedule by contacting the Service Centre on 217 206 707 (monday to friday from 9 am to 7 pm).
For any further questions, please use the Finance e-Balcão website and the Phone Service Center on 217 206 707.
For more information about , please check the COVID-19: Finance - Tax and Customs Authority page.
The Employment and Professional Training Institute canceled all ongoing training activities, as well as those scheduled, until the end of April.
On iefponline portal it is possible to:
- Apply for jobs;
- Submit electronic unemployment benefit application;
- Apply for active employment and vocational training measures
More information about IEFP services, please check the COVID-19: Serviços do IEFP - Emprego e Formação Profissional.
For further questions, you can reach the IEFP Contact Centre on 300 010 001, every working day, from 8am to 8pm.
The Institute for Mobility and Transport, IP (IMT) provides several services through the IMTOnline portal, such as:
- Driving license application
- Duplicate (2nd Copy) of Driving License
- Driving License Revalidation
- Driving License Replacement
- Application for the issuance or renewal of a Tachograph Driver Card
- TVDE driver license issue
- Parking Card Request for People with Disabilities
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, IMT suspended driving lessons (theoretical and practical), extended the dates for periodic inspections, and closed the inspection centres.
More information at www.imtonline.pt.
More information about IMT services, please check the COVID-19: IMT - Institute for Mobility and Transport page.
For further questions, please contact 808 20 12 12 (Monday to Friday, from 9am to 5pm).
In response to the situation caused by the pandemic, the Portuguese government approved several measures to support companies through IAPMEI. Guidelines for the production of COVID-19 protective equipment and clarifications on establishments that may remain open in this context have also been issued.
BUSINESS SUPPORT MEASURES
New employment and business support measures were approved, such as simplified layoff and income support.
The announced measures can be consulted on the IAPMEI portal and include:
- COVID-19 economic support lines. Find out more on the Funding page of the IAPMEI portal
- tax measures, such as temporary suspension of payments, tax exemption and instalment payments. Learn more on the Tax Measures page of the IAPMEI portal
- measures to support the continuity of the activity and employment, which can be consulted on the IAPMEI portal
- new incentive systems ADAPTAR, Programa Apoiar and incentive system COVID-19. Learn more on the Portugal 2020 page of the IAPMEI portal.
For information on projects underway in the context of Portugal 2020, NSRF or CSF III, see the page Flexibility Measures - PT2020.
MEASURES TO SUPPORT CULTURE
For information on support measures for Culture, please visit the website Estamos On.
PRODUCTION OF MEDICAL DEVICES AND COVID-19 EQUIPMENT
Do you want to be a NHS (National Health Service) supplier? The DGS (General Directorate of Health) provides a website with guidelines for the placing on the market of medical devices and personal protective equipment by national manufacturers.
INFORMATION BY PHONE OR INTERNET
If you need help, IAPMEI provides a page with contacts for entrepreneurs.
MORE SERVICES FOR COMPANIES
More information about services, contacts and extraordinary measures for the following entities (list being updated):
- Agência para a Competitividade e Inovação, I.P. - IAPMEI
- Alto Comissariado para as Migrações - ACM
- Autoridade de Gestão do PDR 2020 - AGPDR
- Autoridade Nacional de Segurança Rodoviária - ANSR
- Autoridade de Segurança Alimentar e Económica - ASAE
- Biblioteca Nacional de Portugal - BNP
- Cinemateca Portuguesa - Museu do Cinema
- Comissão de Coordenação e Desenvolvimento Regional de Lisboa e Vale do Tejo
- Comissão para a Cidadania e Igualdade de Género
- Direção-Geral da Agricultura e Desenvolvimento Rural - DGADR
- Direção-Geral das Atividades Económicas - DGAE
- Direção-Geral de Alimentação e Veterinária - DGAV
- Direção-Geral do Consumidor - DGC
- Direção-Geral do Livro, dos Arquivos e das Bibliotecas - DGLAB
- Direção Geral do Património Cultural - DGCP
- Direção-Geral de Recursos Naturais, Segurança e Serviços Marítimos -DGRM
- Direção Regional de Agricultura e Pescas do Algarve - DRAP Algarve
- Direção Regional de Agricultura e Pescas do Alentejo - DRAP Alentejo
- Direção Regional de Agricultura e Pescas do Centro - DRAPC
- Direção Regional de Agricultura e Pescas de Lisboa e Vale do Tejo - DRAP LVT
- Direção Regional de Agricultura e Pescas do Norte - DRAP Norte
- Direção Regional de Cultura Centro - DRCC
- Direção Regional de Cultura do Norte - DRCN
- Direção Regional de Cultura do Alentejo- DRCALEN
- Entidade Regional de Turismo da Região de Lisboa
- Entidade de Serviços Partilhados da Administração Pública, I.P. - eSPAP
- Empresa de Desenvolvimento e Infra-estruturas do Alqueva, S.A - EDIA
- Gabinete Nacional de Segurança
- INFARMED - Autoridade Nacional do Medicamento e Produtos de Saúde, I.P
- Inspeção-geral Das Atividades Culturais- IGAC
- Instituto do Cinema e Audiovisual, IP
- Instituto de Financiamento da Agricultura e Pescas, I.P. - IFAP
- Instituto da Habitação e da Reabilitação Urbana - IHRU
- Instituto Nacional de Investigação Agrária e Veterinária - INIAV
- Instituto dos Vinhos do Douro e do Porto, IP - IVDP
- Metro-Mondego, S.A.
- Polícia Judiciária Militar
- Região de Turismo do Algarve
- Startup Portugal
- Turismo Centro de Portugal
- Turismo do Alentejo, E.R.T.
- Turismo de Portugal
- Turismo do Porto e Norte de Portugal, E.R
If the service you are looking for is not available online, and in the event of an urgent need to use that service, you should schedule in advance for an in-person appointment.
Scheduling for Social Security, IEFP and ACT - Autoridade para as Condições do Trabalho (Authority for Working Conditions) services is done on SIGA platform (also available in the app store).
To schedule an appointment on SIGA, you will need a password to access Segurança Social Direta (more information on the registration page).
Scheduling for Finanças (Tax Authority) and IRN (Institute for Registry and Notary) (Citizen Card) services can be done on the Online Service Scheduling platform. To schedule other services, related to registries, please check the COVID-19: Justice page.
If you have any questions regarding these online services, please use the following telephone contacts:
- Centro de Contacto Cidadão (Citizen Contact Centre) - 300 003 990, available Monday to Friday from 9am to 6pm.
- Centro de Contacto Empresas (Business Contact Centre) - 300 003 980, available Monday to Friday from 9am to 6pm.