Government approves strategy for innovation and modernization of Public Administration
The Portuguese government approved the Strategy for Innovation and Modernisation of the State and Public Administration 2020-2023 (pdf), which aims to strengthen the focus on administrative modernisation to better serve citizens and companies.
The four axes defined for modernising public administration are investment in people, management development, exploitation of technology and strengthening proximity to citizens. This strategy includes 14 strategic objectives associated with each axis:
- Investment in people: developing and renewing leadership; mobilising and empowering workers, and involving workers in cultural change
- Management development: strengthening performance management to improve the quality of public services; planning human resources in an integrated way; investing in administrative simplification, and iv) promoting innovation in public management
- Exploitation of technology: strengthening global governance of technology; improving interoperability and integration of services, and managing the data ecosystem with security and transparency
- Strengthening proximity: promoting integration and inclusion in service; encouraging citizen participation; deepening the decentralisation of powers to local authorities, and strengthening local public services through the deconcentrating of public services to the regional level.
- With these measures, over the next three years the focus will be on improving public services by adapting them to people's needs.
Source: Portal do Governo (Government Portal)