Apply for higher education
The application to the national competition of access to higher education is carried out on the Online Application platform of the Direção-Geral do Ensino Superior (General-Directorate of Higher Education). The 1st phase starts in July.
To apply, you shall need an access password and the ENES File of the year you are applying to. Consult the information below to know how to obtain the password and file.
COVID-19 RESTRICTIONSInformation about in-person services may be out of date. Given the situation caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, it is necessary to schedule for most public service counters.
Confirm the updated information on the page COVID-19 (new coronavirus): information about public services..
Through the platform 'Candidatura online'
Free of charge
Apply through the 'Apply now' button
Who can Apply for higher education?
The students who:
- have concluded the 12th grade of Portuguese education (or abroad, if equivalent)
- have carried out, on the year of application or on the two previous years, the national exams corresponding to the entrance examinations required by the course they are applying to
- have the classifications demanded by the course they are applying to
- have complied with the pre-requirements demanded by the course they are applying to
- are not covered by the international student status.
What are the documents and requirements to Apply for higher education?
To apply, you shall need:
- the ENES file
- the login on the application platform, using the following methods:
- access password
- Citizen Card, PIN codes and card reader.
The ENES file
It is a document issued by the high school, containing the student’s final classification on the secondary education and the classifications obtained on the entrance exams.
This file also contains an activation code that you must write during the online application. Without this code, you cannot continue the application.
Access password to the application platform
- You may submit the password request:
- when you enrol on the final national exams on the secondary school (February/March)
- from May, on any Gabinete de Acesso ao Ensino Superior (Higher Education Access Office).
The passwords are valid for a year; therefore it is not possible to use the password of previous years.
- After you request the password, you shall receive a confirmation message on the email you indicated on the request form
- Confirm the request by clicking on the link you shall receive on the email. The confirmation generates a password request receipt
- Print the request receipt and submit on the place indicated on the request: high school or higher education access office. You must submit this receipt to certify your request and receive the password
- When your request is certified, you shall automatically receive the password on your email. The password is only sent for the email and may not be received any other way.
To login with the citizen card, you must have with you:
- your Citizen Card (valid)
- the authentication PIN of the card (which is provided on the PIN letter sent to your residence when you make your citizen card)
- a card reader compatible with the card and with the computer used to submit the application.
What is the Price to Apply for higher education?
How can you Apply for higher education?
- Access the Online Application platform. The application for higher education may only be carried out online
- If you do not have an access password, start by submitting the request. After, you shall have to confirm this request at your school or at a Gabinete de Acesso ao Ensino Superior (GAES) (Higher Education Access Office). After confirming the request, you shall receive the password on the email. The password may be requested from February
- If you already have the access password, you may login on the platform and submit your application (during the application period). If in doubt, consult the applicant’s guide and the frequently asked questions.
On the Online Application platform, you may also consult the applications results.