Request portuguese nationality
Learn more about if you can obtain the Portuguese nationality and how to submit the request.
If you obtain the Portuguese nationality, you are now a Portuguese citizen and are bound to rights and duties connected to Portugal.
A informação sobre o serviço Pedir a nacionalidade portuguesa está a ser revista em virtude da publicação das últimas alterações ao Regulamento da Nacionalidade Portuguesa.
Consulte a informação atualizada sobre a Lei da Nacionalidade na notícia "Alterações à Lei da Nacionalidade entram em vigor dia 15 de abril" publicada no ePortugal.
Learn where you can carry out the service and what are the advantages of each channel
You can find out what stage your nationality application is at and if you have been notified by mail
Just need your password
Consult the "Where" to know where it is possible to request Portuguese nationality.
At any time, during opening hours.
Search for a point of service near you:
Who can Request portuguese nationality?
As a rule, you can request the Portuguese nationality in any of these cases:
- if you were born in Portugal
- if you have Portuguese parents or grandparents
- if you are married to a Portuguese citizen
- if have been legally residing in Portugal for at least 5 years.
As a rule, you cannot request the Portuguese nationality in any of these cases:
- if you were convicted for any crime punishable in Portugal with a prison sentence of 3 years or more
- if you are involved on any terroristic activity.
As a rule, you cannot request the Portuguese nationality if you are married to a Portuguese citizen in any of these cases:
- if you served another country on a non-mandatory military service
- if you exercise any non-strictly technical public position on another country.
Where can you Request portuguese nationality?
What are the documents and requirements to Request portuguese nationality?
To learn more about the conditions to request the Portuguese nationality, choose the option which applies to your case:
- You were born in Portugal, when your parents resided here, and you have been living on the country for at least 5 years
- You were born in Portugal, were registered after 6 July 2018 and one of your parents have been legally residing in Portugal for at least 2 years
- You were born abroad, but you are married or have a non-marital relationship with a Portuguese citizen for more than 3 years
- You were born abroad, but you have been legally residing in Portugal for at least 5 years
- You were born abroad, but one of your parents is Portuguese
- You were born abroad, but one of your grandparents is Portuguese
- You were born abroad, but you were adopted by a Portuguese citizen before turning 18 and before 8 October 1981
- You were born abroad, but you were adopted by a Portuguese citizen before turning 18 and after 8 October 1981
- You lost your Portuguese nationality and never obtained another
- You lost your Portuguese nationality and opted for another
- You lost your Portuguese nationality when you were a minor or disabled, upon decision of your legal representative
- You lost your Portuguese nationality because you married a foreign man before 1981
- You are under 18 or disabled and, when you were born, your mother and father did not yet have Portuguese nationality
- You belong to a Portuguese community abroad
- You provided relevant services to the Portuguese State or community
- You descend from Portuguese Sephardic Jews