Apply for a Social Security Identification Number (NISS)
The Social Security Identification Number (NISS) allows access to rights and obligations in Social Security.
Persons with a citizen’s card do not need to apply for an NISS because this number already appears on the citizen’s card.
Legal persons (companies) also don't need to ask for the NISS. When companies register in the commercial register, the Tax and Customs Authority (AT) communicates it automatically and free of charge to the Social Security authority, and a NISS is assigned to the company.
Foreigners and Portuguese with lifetime ID cards can apply for the NISS online.
Who can apply for a Social Security Identification Number (NISS)?
What are the documents and requirements to apply for a Social Security Identification Number (NISS)?
The NISS request is made by filling out the form available on the Social Security portal, to which the necessary documents must be attached in each case.
- from the European Union, European Economic Area or Switzerland
- civil ID document from the country of origin and its copy
- work visa
- from third country
- Passport, Residence Permit, Residence Authorization (temporary or permanent) or other civilian identification document from the country of origin and its copy
- work visa
- covered by International Protection (does not include Temporary Protection for persons coming from Ukraine) or no other identification document can present one of the following documents
- Temporary Residence Permit (ARP)
- receipt proving application for ARP
- receipt proving renewal of ARP
- Residence Permit for Refugee - Subsidiary Protection
- receipt for granting of a Residence Permit Refugee/Subsidiary Protection
- receipt for Renewal of Residence Permit - refugee
- receipt for Renewal of Residence Permit - Subsidiary Protection
- declaration of international protection.
Portuguese people without Citizen Card
Present lifetime identity card.
Portuguese People with Citizen Card
The NISS is attributed to Portuguese citizens when the Citizen Card is requested.
Request by the employer or legal representative of the foreign person
- Power of attorney (original document) or Declaration of Authorization to Third Parties - PA12
- Identification document of the legal representative (Passport, Residence Permit or other civil identification document from the country of origin)
NB: The employer acts as the future worker's legal representative. This request is exclusively for the assignment of the NISS, and the employer must communicate the employee's relationship with the Social Security Direct (SSD).
How apply for a Social Security Identification Number (NISS)?
- Access the Social Security portal
- Select the tab "I am a Citizen" or "I am an Employer
- Choose the option "Atribuição de Número de Identificação de Segurança Social (NISS)" (Social Security Identification Number Assignment)
- Click on "Form for requesting a Social Security Identification Number".
After the request, you will receive an email confirming the creation of the NISS and instructions to collect the NISS in person at the Social Security services.
The collection can only be done by the person himself, upon presentation of the ID document.
What is the Price to apply for a Social Security Identification Number (NISS)?
It is free of charge.
What is the deadline for assigning the Social Security Identification Number (NISS)?
After the request for the NISS is submitted, it will be analyzed by the Social Security services, and there is no set deadline for the NISS to be assigned.
Old NISS conversion from 9 to 11 digits
As of 2004, the NISS were automatically converted from 9 to 11 digits.
If you have a lifetime ID card and don't know your 11-digit NISS, please consult it via Social Security Line (210 545 400 / 300 502 502, weekdays from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.) or at a Social Security desk.
What is the support legislation?
Feedback successfully submitted.
Would you like to answer a survey regarding your experience?Answer the survey