Request a short-term Schengen visa
The Schengen visa for short stay allows you to stay in Portugal for a maximum period of 90 days. It is usually requested for reasons of tourism, business or family visits.
The visa does not automatically guarantee entry into Portugal. At the border or any other control point, additional documentation may be requested to prove that you meet the legal requirements to enter the Schengen area.
Consult the field “Price”
Available at any moment
Request in person
At the Portuguese consular offices (Embassies and Consulates) or at the consular representations of European Union countries that have jurisdiction, in case there is no Portuguese consular office
Consult the field “Price”
In some countries, at External Services Providers
Search for a point of service near you:
Who can request a short-term Schengen visa?
Where request a short-term Schengen visa?
In person, at:
- Portuguese consular offices (Embassies and Consulates)
- Consular representations of European Union countries that have jurisdiction, in case there is no Portuguese consular office.
- External Services Providers, only in some countries.
What are the documents and requirements to request a short-term Schengen visa?
You can consult all the necessary documents and requirements on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MNE).
The visa does not automatically guarantee entry into Portugal. At the border, or at any other checkpoint, you may have to present additional documentation proving that you meet the requirements for entering the Schengen area, such as proof that you have sufficient means to cover your stay and the return journey, for example. You can consult the full list of supplementary documentation that may be requested in Annex I of the Borders Code.
What is the Price to request a short-term Schengen visa?
Usually, it costs 80€.
For nationals of countries with facilitation agreements with the European Union (EU) and children from the age of six and under 12, it costs 40€.
It is free of charge for:
- children under the age of six (at the date of submission of the visa request)
- students and teachers when travelling on study or training trips
- researchers travelling for the purpose of scientific research
- representatives of non-profit organizations up to 25 years old participating in seminars, conferences, cultural or sports events organized by non-profit organizations
- family members of nationals of Member States of the EU, EEA or Switzerland.
What is the Deadline to request a short-term Schengen visa?
You must submit your request between 6 months and 15 days before the date you intend to enter Portugal. In duly justified cases you can request the visa less than 15 days before the date you want to enter Portugal.
When requesting, the consulate may require an interview. This interview must take place within two weeks of being requested. In urgent and duly justified cases, the consulate may waive the interview or schedule it immediately.
Feedback successfully submitted.
Would you like to answer a survey regarding your experience?Answer the survey