Pay the tax of a vehicle purchased abroad
AvisoAs informações sobre atendimento ao público poderão estar desatualizadas face ao estado atual do país.
Confirme a informação atualizada a partir da página COVID-19 (novo coronavírus): informações sobre serviços públicos.
Learn where and how you can pay the tax of a vehicle purchased abroad
To access the Vehicles Customs Declaration (DAV), you must be registered in the Automobile Taxation System
Check the 'What is the price' field to simulate the amount of the tax to be paid
Check the documents and requirements required to pay the tax
Who can Pay the tax of a vehicle purchased abroad?
The individual or entity which purchases or owns the following types of vehicles:
- light-duty passenger vehicles
- passenger vehicles
- light-duty mixed vehicles
- light-duty goods vehicles
- motor caravans
- mopeds, tricycles and quadricycles.
When can you Pay the tax of a vehicle purchased abroad?
Within 20 business days from the vehicle’s date of entry in Portugal.
Where can you Pay the tax of a vehicle purchased abroad?
What are the documents and requirements to Pay the tax of a vehicle purchased abroad?
Together with the Customs Vehicle Declaration - DAV, you must submit:
- Vehicle’s purchase invoice (or a sale declaration if you purchased the vehicle to another person/individual).
- Original documents of the vehicle (registration certificate or ownership registration certificate).
- Support document of the vehicle’s transport to Portugal and this service payment receipt (if the vehicle did not arrive in Portugal by road).
- Certificate of compliance - except if you submit the Number of the National Approval Registry issued by IMT, comprising the taxation elements of the ISV applicable to the vehicle (cubic capacity, CO2 emissions, particles) and the tax is calculated based on this registry’s elements.
- National technical approval (model 9) issued by IMT.
- Technical inspection certificate (model 112) issued by IMT.
- Support document of the effective measurement of CO2 emissions through a legally authorized technical centre (Category B Inspection Centres), whenever this element is not part of the vehicle’s certificate of compliance.
To use the Tax Authority Portal, you may need to use one of the following sign-in methods:
- access data to the Tax Authority Portal
- Citizen Card, PIN codes and card reader
- Digital Mobile Key.
How can you Pay the tax of a vehicle purchased abroad?
The request must be carried out online, on the Tax Authority Portal.
- Access the Tax Authority Portal and login with your taxpayer number and password of the Tax Authority Portal.
- Go to Customs Services > IEC/ISV > Vehicles Customs Declaration (DAV) > DAV - create DAV.
- Fill in and submit the DAV and the necessary documents. Save the DAV’s number generated by the computer system. You may use this number to consult or print the DAV at Consultations > Consult DAV. You may also monitor the vehicle’s tax regularisation process.
- Pay the tax within 10 business days from the submission of the DAV, using the references on the DUC - Single Collection Document. This document is automatically generated when you submit the DAV.
To access the DAV, you must be registered in the Automobile Taxation System
You may only access the electronic DAV at the Tax Authority Portal after you are registered in the Automobile Taxation System. To be registered:
- Login on the Tax Authority Portal.
- Access Customs > Registration.
- Fill in the registration form’s data.
- When the registration is accepted, you may access the DAV, logging in again on the Tax Authority Portal.