Exchange a foreign driving licence for a Portuguese driving licence
If your driving licence is from an European Union country, you can drive in Portugal until the document's expiration date.
If your driver's license is from a country with a bilateral agreement with Portugal, you will have up to 2 years to exchange it for a Portuguese licence. But if the licence was issued by a country that is not party to international conventions, you must exchange it immediately.
Get to know all the conditions below.
WHO CAN EXCHANGE A FOREIGN DRIVING LICENCE FOR A PORTUGUESE DRIVING LICENCE?
Any person holding a driving licence issued by a foreign country can exchange it for a Portuguese driving licence.
WHEN DO YOU HAVE TO EXCHANGE A FOREIGN DRIVING LICENCE FOR A PORTUGUESE LICENCE?
DRIVING LICENCES FROM EUROPEAN UNION (EU) COUNTRIES AND EUROPEAN ECONOMIC AREA (EEA)
If you have a driving licence from an EU or EEA country (Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein), you can drive in Portugal with this licence until the document expires. However, if you live in Portugal, you must register your address with the Institute of Mobility and Transport (IMT) within 60 days after moving to the country. Registration is free of charge.
NB: For foreigners with residence in Portugal prior to Brexit, the same rules apply as for EU and EEA countries.
Online registration of your address
To register your residence on the IMT online portal, complete this online form.
Registration in person of your address
For both online and in-person applications, you must submit the following documents:
- identification document and proof of residence in Portugal;
- foreign driving licence and photocopy of the document.
If you have a lifetime foreign driving licence, or if your foreign driving licence does not have an expiry date, you must exchange it for a Portuguese licence within 2 years after taking up residence in Portugal.
DRIVING LICENCES FROM COUNTRIES WITH A BILATERAL AGREEMENT WITH PORTUGAL
If you have a driving licence issued in a country with a bilateral agreement with Portugal, you can drive in Portugal with your foreign driving licence for 185 days (about 6 months), provided you are not a resident.
If you live in Portugal, you must exchange your foreign driving licence for a Portuguese licence within 2 years after taking up residence in Portugal.
NB: For those who have dual nationality, it is mandatory to have residence in Portugal to request the exchange of the licence.
DRIVING LICENCES FROM COUNTRIES NOT PARTY TO INTERNATIONAL ROAD TRAFFIC CONVENTIONS
Driving licences issued by foreign countries which are not party to international road traffic conventions are not valid for driving in Portugal. If you want to drive in Portugal, you must request the exchange of your driving licence for a Portuguese licence immediately.
You must fill out the online form and wait for IMT's indication to go to an IMT desk. Once in the desk to register your driving test application, your biometric data will also be collected. The exam fee will be paid there. The date and time of the test will be communicated to you later.
NB: You will have to take one driving test for each category of license you hold.
What are the documents and requirements to Exchange a foreign driving licence for a Portuguese driving licence?
Regardless of the origin of your driving licence, if you want to exchange your licence for a Portuguese licence, you must comply with the following requirements:
- have reached the minimum legal age required by Portuguese law for the category or categories in which you are qualified to drive
- be physically, mentally and psychologically fit
- be resident in Portugal
- not be prohibited or banned from driving.
To obtain a Portuguese driving licence, you must submit the following documents:
- a valid foreign driving licence (you must hand in the original one after you receive an e-mail to go to the IMT service)
- an identification document
- evidence of permission to reside in Portugal
- your tax identification number (TIN)
- an electronic medical certificate (sent online by the doctor to the IMT)
- a favourable psychological assessment certificate issued by a psychologist (for categories C1, C1E, C, CE, D1, D1E and DE, as well as B and BE in the case of ambulances, fire engines, vehicles for school transport, patient transport, collective transport of children and hire cars).
For driving licences issued by countries with a bilateral agreement with Portugal or which are not parties to international road traffic conventions, you must also provide:
- a statement by the issuing authority or a diplomatic or consular authority certifying the authenticity of the driving licence, the date of issue, validity, categories of vehicles covered and that you have passed the driving test
- a translation of your driving licence, authenticated by the consular service of Portugal or another Member State in the respective country when the licence is not issued in Portuguese, French, English or Spanish.
How can you Exchange a foreign driving licence for a Portuguese driving licence?
Via the IMTonline portal
- Complete the online form
- Attach the documents indicated in the ‘Documents and Requirements’ field.
After submitting your request, you will receive an email containing information on how to pay the fee of 30 euros and on the collection of biometric data (signature and photograph) if necessary.
What is the Price to Exchange a foreign driving licence for a Portuguese driving licence?
Exchanging a foreign driving licence for a Portuguese licence costs 30 euros.
If your driving licence is issued by a country which is not a party to international road traffic conventions, you will have to take a driving test. The test costs 30 euros.
If you want to enrol in a driving school for lessons before the test, a learner’s licence costs 15 euros.
What is the deadline to receive the Portuguese licence?
The Portuguese licence is delivered within an average period of 60 days, except in cases where a practical driving test is required.
During this 60 day period, a provisional licence is issued, which allows you to drive until you receive your Portuguese licence.