Foreigners Act: visa and residence permit applications will be simpler


As of October 30th, changes to the Law on Foreigners will come into effect, which will simplify visa procedures for people from member states of the Community of Portuguese Language Countries (CPLP), residence authorization for digital nomads and researchers, and entry and exit of minors from the country, among others.

The main changes are as follows:

CPLP Visas

Applications for the granting and renewal of a residence permit for persons from CPLP member states are now exempt from submission:

  • of valid travel insurance
  • proof of means of subsistence
  • the copy of the return ticket
  • in person to apply for a visa.

The visa application is provisionally approved and the CPLP residence visa allows the application for a CPLP residence permit.

Visa to Seek Work

To apply for a visa to seek work, you need:

  • declaration of conditions of stay
  • proof of submission of declaration of interest for registration with the Institute of Employment and Professional Training (IEFP)
  • proof of means of subsistence equivalent to three minimum monthly salaries.

This visa can be extended if proof of registration with the IEFP is presented as well as a declaration proving that the conditions of stay are maintained.

Temporary stay visa and residence permit for digital nomads

If you work as an employee, the visa application must be accompanied by the following documents:

  • document certifying tax residence
  • average monthly income over the last 3 months of at least the equivalent of 4 minimum wages
  • work contract
  • promise of an employment contract
  • statement from the employer proving the employment relationship.

In the case of independent activity, the request must be accompanied by the following documents:

  • document proving tax residence
  • average monthly income in the last 3 months of a minimum value equivalent to 4 minimum wages
  • company contract
  • contract or proposal of service contract
  • proof of services rendered to one or more entities.

Temporary stay visa to accompany a temporary stay visa applicant

The request must be accompanied by:

  • document proving the family relationship
  • proof of sufficient resources for the needs of the applicant and his/her accompanying family, for the requested period of stay or for the period of 12 months, whichever is shorter.

Holders of a residence permit for research, study, professional internship or volunteer work

Whoever has this permit may:

  • exercise professional activity, subordinate or independent, alongside the activity that gave rise to the visa
  • register with IEFP.

Entry and exit of minors

Minors residing in Portugal who wish to leave the country alone must present certified authorization from one of their parents or the person with parental responsibilities.

Visas without prior consultation

Visas issued without prior consultation must be sent electronically to the Foreigners and Borders Service (SEF), indicating residence in Portugal.

Source: Government Portal