Request the European Health Insurance Card
This card allows you to receive medical assistance during a temporary stay on a countrie of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland.
COVID-19 RESTRICTIONSInformation about in-person services may be out of date. Given the situation caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, it is necessary to schedule for most public service counters.
Confirm the updated information on the page COVID-19 (new coronavirus): information about public services..
Learn where you may submit your request and what are the advantages of each channel
Place your order by clicking on the 'Order online' button, simply by using your beneficiary number
Free of charge
Go to a Social Security desk or a Citizen's Bureau to request your European Health Insurance Card
Free of charge
You just need your beneficiary number
Search for a point of service near you:
Who can Request the European Health Insurance Card?
The families of theemployees.
When can you Request the European Health Insurance Card?
- You may use this card to receive the necessary health care if you are travelling:
- in a European Union country
- in Iceland
- in Liechtenstein
- in Norway
- in Switzerland.
- This card allows you to, in case of emergency, receive health care abroad - that is, you do not need to return to your country to be treated.
- With this card, the person is treated on the foreign country as a beneficiary of the social security system of that country. This means that the health care might not be free and may imply the payment of user charges or co-participations.
What are the documents and requirements to Request the European Health Insurance Card?
- Application Form for the European Health Insurance Card.
You shall need the beneficiary number you will use to request the card (for instance: Social Security and national health system’s user number).
What is the Price to Request the European Health Insurance Card?
It is free of charge.
How can you Request the European Health Insurance Card?
- Online, at Direct Social Security, if you are a Social Security beneficiary.
- On the Social Security reception desks.
- On the Citizen’s Bureaus or Citizen Spots which provide this service.
If you submit the request in person to the Social Security, you shall need to submit the Model GIT53 - DGSS form.
The European Health Insurance Card is sent to your address.