Request the European Health Insurance Card
The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) allows you to receive medical assistance during a temporary stay in a country of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland.
Medical care is provided through that country's social security system, which means that some health care may not be free of charge and may require the payment of user fees.
In case of loss, misplacement or theft, you must report the situation to the Social Security as soon as possible.
Learn where you may submit your request and what are the advantages of each channel
Apply for your card via Segurança Social Direta.
Free of charge
The card is sent to your address within 5 to 7 working days.
Available on app
You can also request your card through Segurança Social + Próxima app
At a desk
Go to a Social Security desk or a Citizen Shop to request your European Health Insurance Card.
Free of charge
Who can request the European Health Insurance Card?
When can you request the European Health Insurance Card?
The European Health Insurance Card can be applied for at any time, and is valid for 3 years.
What are the documents and requirements to request the European Health Insurance Card?
To apply for a European Health Insurance Card, you will need:
- the personal details of the person who will be the cardholder (including the Social Security Identification Number and the National Health Service User Number)
- the personal details of the dependant family members of the person applying for the card
- to fill in the Application Form for the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).
How request the European Health Insurance Card?
On Segurança Social Direta - you need to have Social Security number (see how to do it in this video)
- Select the menu "Doença" [Sickness]
- Choose the option "Obter Cartão Europeu de Seguro de Doença" [Get European Health Insurance Card]
- Press the "Iniciar pedido" [Start request] button and follow the instructions
On the Segurança Social Security + Próxima app (available for Android, iOS and Huawei)
- Select the "Cartão Europeu de Seguro de Doença" [European Health Insurance Card] option
- Follow the instructions.
- At Social Security service desks
- In the Citizen Shops or Citizen Spots that provide the service.
How long does it take to receive the European Health Insurance Card?
The European Health Insurance Card is sent to your address within 5 to 7 working days after you submit the application.
Provisional Replacement Certificate
If you are traveling within 10 days and have not yet received the new European Health Insurance Card, you can apply for a Provisional Replacement Certificate (PEC). The certificate replaces the EHIC for 3 months and guarantees the same rights.
The application must be made at the Social Security offices.
If you lose or forget your European Health Insurance Card and need health care during your trip, you can also ask Social Security to send the PEC to the health facility where you are.
What is the price to request the European Health Insurance Card?
It is free of charge.
What is the support legislation?
Feedback successfully submitted.
Would you like to answer a survey regarding your experience?Answer the survey