Request the European Health Insurance Card
The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) allows you to receive medical assistance during a temporary stay in a country of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland.
Medical care is provided through that country's social security system, which means that some health care may not be free of charge and may require the payment of user fees.
Learn how to apply for the EHIC. If you want to renew it, you will need to make a new application.
Learn where you may submit your request and what are the advantages of each channel
Who can Request the European Health Insurance Card?
- People registered in Social Security (active workers, pensioners and family members)
- People enrolled in Voluntary Social Insurance
- Persons enrolled in public health subsystems
- National Health Service users (in case they are not enrolled in any system or subsystem)
- People who worked abroad, are pensioners and have returned to Portugal
- Posted workers.
Since the card is individual, each member of the insured person's family must have his or her own card. Children and young people can register on Social Security Direct (SSD) using their Social Security Identification Number (NISS) to apply for their own EHIC online.
When can you Request the European Health Insurance Card?
The European Health Insurance Card can be applied for at any time, and is valid for 3 years.
In case of loss or theft, you will need to apply for a new EHIC.
What are the documents and requirements to Request the European Health Insurance Card?
To apply for a European Health Insurance Card, you will need:
- the personal details of the person who will be the cardholder (including the Social Security Identification Number and the National Health Service User Number)
- the personal details of the dependant family members of the person applying for the card
- to fill in the Application Form for the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).
How can you Request the European Health Insurance Card?
- On Segurança Social Direta - you need to have Social Security number (see how to do it in this video)
- Select the menu "Doença" [Sickness]
- Choose the option "Obter Cartão Europeu de Seguro de Doença" [Get European Health Insurance Card]
- Press the "Iniciar pedido" [Start request] button and follow the instructions
- On the Segurança Social Security + Próxima app (available for Android and iOS)
- Select the "Cartão Europeu de Seguro de Doença" [European Health Insurance Card] option
- Follow the instructions.
- At Social Security service counters, handing in the Model GIT53 form - DGSS
- In the Citizen Shops or Citizen Spaces that provide the service.
The European Health Insurance Card is sent to your address within 5 to 7 working days after submitting the request.
Obs: ADSE no longer issues the EHIC since 2020.
What is the Price to Request the European Health Insurance Card?
It is free of charge.
WHAT IS THE SUPPORT LEGISLATION?